Thursday, August 27, 2009

Got a "Bucket List"?

Currently I have been involved in a very intensive career/life class at my company and have gleaned much during this 8 week training course, so I want to share some of it with you. Did anyone see the movie, The Bucket List, starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman? The movie basically deals with two older men in very different situations in life that meet during routine cancer treatments at a hospital. Freeman's character has been battling cancer for awhile, and Nicholson's character has just learned he has it and has started his first round of chemotherapy. The two men become unlikely friends and begin writing a list of things that each of them want to do before they die. They go even a step further and leave together, against some family member's wishes to experience and scratch off as many things on their bucket list that they can before their lives are spent.

In my class, we also worked on a bucket list of our own, slightly different but just as poignant. The challenge was in 10 minutes time, list 50 that answer the following questions:
  1. What do I want to DO before I die?
  2. What do I want to BE?
  3. What do I want to HAVE?
  4. What do I want to SEE?
  5. What do I want to GIVE?
  6. Who do I want to HELP?
  7. What do I want to KNOW?
  8. WHO do I want to know?

The key was to brainstorm so that no restrictions are permitted. We were not to justify, rationalize or define our ideas at this point, just write it all down as it flowed. I am confessing that it took me longer than 10 minutes, but I didn't take too long for fear I would over-analyze what I was writing and begin crossing things out. The exercise was enlightening, invigorating and insightful. I greatly recommend that everyone compile their very own bucket list. I find myself living in the "fight fire" mode alot, and by the end of the day, I have not given time to what really matters. The list gives you a peek into your innermost desires, passions and hopes. Then you can begin to design your life to help you reach your goals, your dreams and focus on what is truly important in life, whatever that may be for you. I am going to share a few of my bucket list items, and it is my hope that you will find your own bucket and start filling it. It is worth it!

Jackie's Partial Bucket List:

  • Love and appreciate myself in and out.
  • Learn to LOVE working out. (Ooh...this is tough!)
  • Always make time to serve others.
  • Travel to Finland and work on my family history.
  • Have a fun and fruitful real estate career.
  • Live in and appreciate the present.
  • Wake up every morning with a grateful heart.
  • Live in Italy for a summer.
  • Help raise healthy, happy children.
  • Pay for my children's college tuition.
  • Explore as much of what the world has to offer as possible.
  • Pray more and listen more.

So there you have it...now have fun doing your list, it's worth it. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment